Area 236,700 square km
Population 46.02 million (2010)
Capital City Nanning


Guangxi, with full name Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region is situated in China's southern frontier area, facing Beibuwan Gulf in the south (The total length of the coast line is about 1,500 kilometres.) and bordering Viet Nam on the southwest. During the Northern Song Dynasty (960 A.D-1127 A.D), this region was under the administration of Guangnanxi Lu (lu, ancient name for province), which was later abbreviated as Guangxi Lu, hence the name Guangxi. In the Qin Dunasty(221 B.C-207 B.C), the region was under the administration of Guilin Jun and Xiang Jun (jun, ancient name for prefecture), and became known as Gui subsequently.

The whole region covers an area of over 236,700 square kilometres with a population of 49.25 million, comprising nationalities of Zhuang, Han, Yao, Miao, Dong, Mulan, Maonan, Hui, Jing, Yi, Sui and Gelao. Over ninety percent of Zhuang population, which is the largest minority group in China, live in Guangxi, Nanning is the capital of the region.

Guangxi is surrounded by a long and unbroken mountains, with the central part of the Region constituting a land of gentle karsts hills and plains, known as the Guangxi Basin", Mar'ershan, 2,142 metre above sea level, is the peak of Yuechengling Mountain and the highest peak in Guangxi as well. A natura; xone was set up in the Mao'ershan area.

The Huaping Natural Rwserve Zone is located on the densely wooded hill, 1,500 metre above sea level, the north-eastern and northern part of Guangxi. With limestone covering half of the Region, Guangxi is one of the areas in China with large well-developed karsts formations.


Located in a subtropical area and enjoying a humid and monsoon climate, Guangxi has long and hot summer, and occasionally cold winter, with distinctive dry and rainy seasons. The annual average temperature is 17ºC-23ºC (62.6 ºF and 73.4 ºF), with a frost-free period exceeding 300 days. The annual rainfall averages between 1,000mm to 2,800mm.

Brief History of Guangxi

The Region was called Baiyuedi in ancient times and various administrations were set up in Guangxi in different dynasties: in the Qin Dynasty (221 B.C-207 B.C), it was under the administration of Guilin Prefecture and Nanhaixiang Prefecture; in the Tang Dynasty (618 A.D-907 A.D), it belonged to Lingnandao Prefecture; in the Song Dynasty (960 A.D-1297A.D), it came under the jurisdiction of Guangnanxi Lu, later known as Guangxi; in the Yuan Dynasty( 1271 A.D-1368 A.D), it became part of Hunan-Guangxi Province; in the Ming Dynasty(1368 A.D-1644 A.D), it was under the administration of Guangxi Department and become Guangxi Province in the Qing Dynasty (1644 A.D-1911A.D). In March 5,1958, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region was officially set up.

Guangxi Places of Interests and Tourist Attractions

Lijiang River: A well-known part of the Guilin River, it flows from the Piled Festoon Hill to "Bilian Peak" in Yangshou, covering a distance of 83 kilometres. This green ribbon-like river runs zigzag through a multitude of hills against a backdrop of steep peaks, luxuriant flowers and green hills along the shores are mirrored in the blue water, giving the visitor a poetic inspiration. In drizzly days, the peaks embraced by clouds and mists and river.

Elephant Trunk Hill: The hill is at the confluence of the Lijiang River and Yangjiang River inside the city. This hill is so named because it outlines a vivid image of an elephant sipping water from the river with its trunk. Between the body and the trunk there is a round-shaped space, known as "water moon" arch, which is about 10 metres high and 20 metres deep. The river flows through the arch resembling a "bright-moon". Sailing through the arch, one feels like being under a huge arch bridge.

Crescent Hill: Located to the east of Guilin, the hill gets its name from a new-moon shaped opening of a cave in the western slope of the hill. The hidden Dragon Cave at the food of the hill has a stretch of water and a food path, Yihong Pavilion", "Xiaoguanghan Temple" and other buildings are located half way up the hill.

Fubo Hill: It is located to the east of the city with half of the hill reaching into the Lijiang River. The hill stands in solitary loftiness with a thrusting peak. It seems to restrain the swelling water when the river is raising with violent torrents and waves, hence the name Fudo (restraining waves). On the hilltop there is a Fudo Temple and the Returning Pearl Cave. At the foot of the hill, there are other scenic spots.

Seven-Star-Rock Cave: Formerly known as "Qixia Cave" and "Bixu Rock", It is on the Seven star-Rock hill to the east of Guilin. The cave presents a twisted extension of more than one and a half kilometres. This cave, the biggest and the most fascinating cave of Guilin, includes "Liudongtian Cave" and Liangdongfu Cave, offers numerous spectacular views and is big enough to hold ten thousand visitors at a time; originally, the cave was an underground channel and became a tourist attraction as early as the Sui and Tang Dynasties (581 A.D.-907). Inside the cave, well-developed stalactites and stalagmites form numerous fantastic scenes such as `Monkey Picking Peaches`, `Two Lion Fighting for a Ball`, or in the shapes of fruits, forests and gigantic waterfall.

Reed-Flute Cave: The cave is at the Guangming Hill about six kilometres northwest of Guilin. This huge cave, eroded out of karst formation and with a maximum height of 18 metres and width of 93 metres. This ancient scenic spot dates back to more than 1,000 years ago, It has been widely claimed as Art Galley of Nature" because of its dazzling beauty of strange karts formation and marvellous scenery.